Bridgnorth Tae Kwon-Do: Required Theory: 3rd Kup: Red Stripe to Red Belt
Alongside your practical martial arts tuition at Bridgnorth Tae Kwon-Do, students are expected to learn theory and this is tested at the end of every grading. The emphasis is on the student to take responsibility for their own learning; but we have provided these theory sheets to assist and we are always happy to help with your learning or any questions you may have. In terms of timing for when is best to start your theory, we would always say ASAP! It is never too early or too late to start – the main thing is to give it your best effort in a way that suits you. Some students have created their own visual aids, drawn pictures, found ways to memorise dates, etc. No doubt you will learn more than the examiner will test you on – please don’t be disheartened by this. Your time spent on theory is never wasted. You need to know this information to perform at the highest level in the class; and you will be tested on all aspects of the syllabus from white belt onwards, during your Black Belt gradings.
(Korean terms are in brackets and italics).
Significance of Colours on Belts
RED signifies danger, warning the student to exercise self-control and the opponent to stay away.
- Closed ready stance B: (Moa junbi sogi B)
- Closed stance posture move: (Moa sogi)
- X stance: (Kyocha sogi)
- Low X fist block: (Najunde kyocha makgi)
- W shape block: (San makgi)
- Circular block: (Dollimyo makgi)
- Low section double forearm block: (Najunde doo palmok makgi)
- Upset fingertip thrust: (Dwijibo sonkut tulgi)
- Twin vertical punch: (Sang sewo jirugi)
- Upwards knee strike: (Ollyo moorup taerigi)
- Flat fingertip thrust: (Opun sonkut tulgi)
- Instep: (Baldung)
- Reverse footsword: (Balkal dung)
Toi-Gye is the pen name of the noted scholar Yi Hwang (16th Century AD), an authority on neo-Confucianism. The 37 movements of the pattern refer to his birthplace on 37 degrees latitude, and the diagram represents the scholar.
*** The GTI Handbook contains more detailed theory information and is available to purchase from your Instructor at Bridgnorth Tae Kwon-Do.
The examiner may ask any question, not limited to those on these pages.
You must ALWAYS revise theory from previous belts.***