Alongside your practical martial arts tuition at Bridgnorth Tae Kwon-Do, students are expected to learn theory and this is tested at the end of every grading. The emphasis is on the student to take responsibility for their own learning; but we have provided these theory sheets to assist and we are always happy to help with your learning or any questions you may have. In terms of timing for when is best to start your theory, we would always say ASAP! It is never too early or too late to start – the main thing is to give it your best effort in a way that suits you. Some students have created their own visual aids, drawn pictures, found ways to memorise dates, etc. No doubt you will learn more than the examiner will test you on – please don’t be disheartened by this. Your time spent on theory is never wasted. You need to know this information to perform at the highest level in the class; and you will be tested on all aspects of the syllabus from white belt onwards, during your Black Belt gradings.
Please try not to remember the pattern meanings without investigating what the words mean. What is a patriot? What is a pseudonym? What is a dynasty? What is Buddhism? What is neo-Confucionism? These are all common theory questions.
Students can download colour belt and black belt theory sheets below. Please note:
– The GTI Handbook contains more detailed theory information and is available to purchase from your Instructor at Bridgnorth Tae Kwon-Do.
– The examiner may ask any question, not limited to those on these pages.
– You must always revise theory from previous belts!
– Every answer you give in a grading should be followed by the word “Sir” or “Ma’am”.
- What to Expect at Your First Grading (PDF version)
- Meaning of Colours on Belts (PDF version)
- Walking Stance (PDF version)
- L Stance (PDF version)
- Sitting Stance (PDF version)
- Fixed Stance (PDF version)
- 10th Kup (White Belt to Yellow Stripe) (PDF version)
- 9th Kup (Yellow Stripe to Yellow Belt) (PDF version)
- 8th Kup (Yellow Belt to Green Stripe) (PDF version)
- 7th Kup (Green Stripe to Green Belt) (PDF version)
- 6th Kup (Green Belt to Blue Stripe) (PDF version)
- 5th Kup (Blue Stripe to Blue Belt) (PDF version)
- 4th Kup (Blue Belt to Red Stripe) (PDF version)
- 3rd Kup (Red Stripe to Red Belt) (PDF version)
- 2nd Kup (Red Belt to Black Stripe) (PDF version)
- 1st Kup (Black Stripe to Black Belt) (PDF version)
- 1st Dan (1st Degree Black Belt to 2nd Degree Black Belt) (PDF version)
- 2nd Dan (2nd Degree Black Belt to 3rd Degree Black Belt) (PDF version)
- 3rd Dan (3rd Degree Black Belt to 4th Degree Black Belt) (PDF version)
- Patterns meanings (PDF version in large font)
- Pattern meanings – a closer look (PDF version)